By now, you and your child may already be talking about kindergarten. Your child may seem enthusiastic one day, then curious or uncertain the next. As a parent, you may also have mixed emotions about your child's first public education experience.

We want to help you and your child look forward to school confidently and enthusiastically. As you prepare for the coming year, imagine kindergarten as a place to expand your child's education rather than begin it. Working together, at home and school, we can help your child develop a love for learning that will last a lifetime.

FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions

How will I know if my child is ready for Kindergarten?

There is no single test, or measure, that guarantees that a child is ready for kindergarten. In general, if your child is five years old by August 31" of the school year, s/he is ready to start school.

What information do I need to know for Kindergarten Registration?

Please do one of the following to submit the required documents:

  • Upload the required documents online during the enrollment process.

  • Scan and email copies to Fran Gonzalez

  • Mail or drop off copies to the District Office located at 927 E. Fairhaven Ave.

Required documents:

  • Birth Certificate: A birth certificate from the Health Department is required to verify your child’s date of birth. The B-E School District does not enroll children younger than 5 years of age in kindergarten.

  • Proof of Residency - The address on the document must match the address of your residence.

  • Government Mail (e.g., car registration; Good to Go! Bill or letter; letter from Social Security, immigration, unemployment, health finder exchange or DMV; USPS Change of Address form; election ballot. Correspondence from Burlington-Edison School District does not qualify as Government Correspondence)

  • Homeowners Insurance Policy Declaration

  • Property Tax Bill (must have been received in the mail, not printed off a website)

  • Redacted 1099 or W-2 (Social Security Number and dollar amounts blacked out)

  • Unexpired Lease Agreement (must be signed by both parties)

  • Utility Bill (Dated within the last two months. Accepted utilities include water, sewer, gas, electricity, or garbage; the mailing and service address must be the residence address. Cable, internet, and phone bills are not accepted)

Will I need to provide Immunization Records?

Washington state law requires students to be immunized before entering school. Please click on the link below to see recommended immunization before entering kindergarten.

Recommended Immunizations for Children Birth-6 years old

Kindergarten Updates

February 9 - Kindergarten Registration is opens for the 2024-2025 School Year

May 12- Kindergarten placement letters will be mailed (Kindergarten Screenings to be determined.)

September 9 - First day of Kindergarten