What is the McKinney-Vento Act?
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act of 1986 is a federal law that provides money for homeless shelter programs. "Homeless" children are also entitled to the protections of the McKinney-Vento Act.
The McKinney-Vento Act defines homeless children as "individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence." The act provides examples of children who would fall under this definition:
- Children sharing housing due to economic hardship or loss of housing;
- Children living in "motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camp grounds due to lack of alternative accommodations"
- Children living in "emergency or transitional shelters"
- Children whose primary nighttime residence is not ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation (e.g. park benches, etc)
- Children living in "cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations…"
The McKinney-Vento Act ensures homeless children transportation to and from school free of charge, allowing children to attend their school of origin (last school enrolled or the school they attended when they first become homeless) regardless of what district the family resides in. It requires schools to register homeless children even if they lack normally required documents, such as immunization records or proof of residence.
McKinney-Vento Act and B-ESD
The B-ESD Student Housing Questionnaire is used during student enrollment, and when a student has moved, to assist Building and District McKinney-Vento Liaisons in determining if the student(s) qualify for services under the Act.
McKinney-Vento Act Resources and Information
- McKinney-Vento Intake Form
- McKinney-Vento program - Out of District Transportation Form
- Determining Eligibility for McKinney-Vento
- Unaccompanied Youth and McKinney-Vento
- School Selection for Youth under McKinney-Vento
- Immigrant Status and McKinney-Vento
- 100 Most Frequently Asked Questions Regarding McKinney-Vento
- Homeless Youth Handbook (2013) Website, or Download the PDF
The National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY) is a national membership association dedicated to ensuring educational equity and excellence for children and youth experiencing homelessness.