An Individualized Education for Each Child
Welcome to another wonderful year at West View Elementary! Our mission at West View is to provide an “individualized education for each child.” This mission is summarized in the Spanish phrase “Cada Niño” or “each child.” Evidence of our commitment to this vision can be seen in the following activities and initiatives:
- West View staff is committed to creating bilingual, biliterate and bicultural students, empowering them to be successful in our increasingly global community.
- All students have their own Student Learning Portfolio that includes their academic goals and progress, samples of quality work, and celebrations of their learning. Students will present their portfolios to the public during our “Learning Celebration” in June.
- West View has developed a clear and consistent assessment and interventions system that allows our teachers to provide targeted interventions in Math and Reading to small groups every day.
- Enrichment and Extension Activities: West View students have the opportunity to participate in Art, Music and PE classes during the week. Additionally, students have the chance to pursue their interests in Art, Music and Athletics beyond the school day through our after/before-school programs.
- West View also hosts a two-week summer school in August. This program combines Math and Literacy instruction with the Arts and Soccer.
- Family Programs also provide us with the opportunity to extend our support of students beyond the classroom. Our Evening Family Center is open from 6-8 pm, Tuesday-Thursday. Parents can access ELL, GED and Microsoft Office, and Bilingual Parent Buddies at this Center. We also host evening school events, like our monthly “Dad’s Night” and “Coffee with the Principal” as part of our Family Center.
- Community Partnerships are also an essential part of our mission to individualize our education for each child. West View actively partners with Skagit Literacy, Northwest United Soccer Club, the Washington Reading Corps, and the Museum of Northwest Art.