5th Grade FYI - For Your Information from Mr. Brown
1. Homework. A weekly SPELLING PACKAGE will be given to your child. Most students will finish the package at school, but a few will need to take it home during the week. All students will be expected to read for 30 MINUTES every school night. Each student will be required to turn in 10 BOOK REPORTS per trimester. Each week there will be a READING SKILLS PACKAGE assigned to improve your child's Reading level. To help your child focus in Reading, there will be a fun WORD SEARCH each week that not only introduces new vocabulary words, but also helps to increase Reading speeds. I am encouraging your child to finish all work in school so that he will learn the joy of reading at home. If your child is unable to finish any homework from my room, please write "EX" (excused) and initial.
2. Late Assignments. Assignments not excused by parents will be accepted for 24 hours after their due date. The late penalty will be 10% loss of grade. After 24 hours, late work will not be accepted for credit.
3. Parent-Excused Assignments. Students will be excused from work outside of class AS LONG AS THEY BRING PARENT INITIALS AND THEY PUT AN "EX" on the assignment. Reasons for excused work are not necessary. Parents will decide if there was enough time on that particular evening. I understand that there will be times when busy schedules make being home nearly impossible.
4. Illness. Please keep your child home when he/she is ill. It is not healthy for him/her or the rest of the class to attend if not feeling well. It only spreads the illness and makes recovery time longer. Students are excused from daily assignments while they are ill. I will take time to explain new concepts to your child and bring him/her up to speed on anything that was missed when he/she returns to school. He will not be expected to make up any work that was missed, unless it is a long continuing project that we are working on , and still working on when he comes back.
5. Vacations. Students on vacation are excused from daily work. They will be required to keep a daily journal of events, along with pictures and/or drawings to document their vacation. They will be expected to share a few pages from their journal with the class upon their return.
6. Grading Scale.
0- 49% F
Any student performing at a C or below is most likely not completing assignments. Parents will be contacted should their child fall into this bracket.
7. Progress Reports. Student progress may be viewed on the district's website.
8. Communication. Please let me know right away of any confusion or concerns, and I will do the same. Many times a simple phone call or note will clear up any confusion. You may reach me at 757-3352.
Sincerely, Mr. Brown